|This page uses content from an article at Wikipedia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with To All The Boys I've Loved Before Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
P.S. I Still Love You is a 2015 young adult romance novel by American author Jenny Han, first published by Simon & Schuster and released on May 26, 2015. It is the sequel to the novel To All the Boys I've Loved Before, released on April 15, 2014, and was followed by a third installment, Always and Forever, Lara Jean, released on May 2, 2017. The audiobook is narrated by Laura Knight Keating.
|“||I know the exact day it all started.||”|
—Lara Jean Covey
Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?
In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that's part of what makes it so amazing.
After the fight between Lara Jean, Josh, and Peter at the Coveys' Christmas party, Lara Jean realizes that she has fallen for Peter. Hoping to reconcile, Lara Jean heads over to Peter's house with a love letter she hopes for him to read. After a brief talk, the two almost kiss but his brother interrupts, and then they decide they want to be a real couple. At school, Lara Jean discovers that someone has posted a video of her and Peter making out in the hot tub from the ski trip. A rumor spreads that the two were having sex. After seeing the video during school, Peter is furious and warns the anonymous poster not to mess with Lara Jean.
Before Margot leaves to go back to college in Scotland, she tells Lara Jean to get a job. Taking Margot's advice, but not wanting to work at the hospital gift shop like her dad suggested, Lara Jean makes up a story on how she's volunteering to start a scrapbooking class at the Belleview retirement home. Not wanting her family to find out the truth, Lara Jean goes to get the job and ends up liking it. She gets closer to Stormy, an elderly woman who has a feisty temper. Stormy gives Lara Jean relationship advice, though it usually contradicts with Lara Jean's thoughts. Meanwhile, Kitty begins an attempt to set up their father with the neighbor across the street, Trina Rothschild.
One day, Lara Jean receives a letter in the mail from John Ambrose McClaren, telling her that he received the love letter she wrote him. Lara Jean and John soon become pen pals. When Lara Jean finds out that the neighborhood treehouse she and her friends used to hang out in will soon be cut down, she decides to throw a reunion party there and invites John. She also plans to open a time capsule that they buried at the treehouse when they were in seventh grade.
At the treehouse party, Peter brings his ex-girlfriend, Genevieve, knowing that Lara Jean did not want her to come. Lara Jean also finds out that the two were hanging out before the party, prompting her to become suspicious, and a little jealous, of Peter and Genevieve's "relationship". During the party, Lara Jean distracts herself from Peter by focusing on John. The group takes turns to pull an item from the time capsule and then decides to play Assassins, which they often played during their childhood. For the prize, they decide the winner will be granted one wish. Lara Jean is determined to win since she has never previously won a game.
After the party, Lara Jean and Peter argue about John and Genevieve, and Peter insists there is only friendship between him and his ex. During the Assassins game, Lara Jean discovers that Peter and Genevieve have formed an alliance, causing her to become suspicious again. Lara Jean finds out that Stormy is John's grandmother when he comes to visit the retirement home, and also eliminates him from Assassins. Her next target is now Peter, and John decides to help her out.
Meanwhile, Lara Jean and Peter break up when she discovers that Peter knew Genevieve was the person who sent out the video from the hot tub. She tells him if she wins Assassins, she would wish that nothing had happened between them. Lara Jean begins spending more time with John as they scheme to take out Genevieve from the game. Lara Jean ends up winning and discovers the reason Peter and Genevieve have been hanging out: Genevieve confided in Peter about her father's affair with a younger woman.
Lara Jean meets with Peter at the treehouse the night before it is to be cut down. She tells him her wish is for things to go back to the way they were between them, and Peter confesses his love for her.
- Lara Jean Covey - A high school student who is now dating Peter Kavinsky, her former fake boyfriend, for real. But when she meets John Ambrose McClaren, whom she had a crush on when she was younger, she begins questioning her feelings for Peter.
- Peter Kavinsky - Lara Jean's boyfriend. Although he is dating Lara Jean, Lara Jean suspects that he might still be in love with his former long-time girlfriend, Genevieve.
- John Ambrose McClaren - Lara Jean's childhood friend, whom she meets again after he receives her letter. As Peter and Lara Jean begin to grow more distant due to the former's involvement with Genevieve, Lara Jean begins to see John Ambrose as a possible new love interest.
- Genevieve - Peter's ex-girlfriend and Lara Jean's former childhood friend. After an incident in middle school, Lara Jean and Genevieve stopped being friends and Genevieve started dating Peter. Even after eventually breaking up with Peter, the two still spent a lot of time together.
- Chris - Lara Jean's best friend and Genevieve's cousin.
- Kitty Covey - Lara Jean's little sister, who is trying to get the Covey's neighbor, Trina Rothschild, and their father, Daniel, together.
- Daniel Covey - Lara Jean's, Margot's, and Kitty's father. After the loss of his wife, Eve, he eventually starts taking an interest in his neighbor, Trina.
- Trina Rothschild - The Covey family's neighbor. After her divorce, she starts taking a romantic interest in Daniel Covey.
- Margot Covey - Lara Jean's older sister, who is currently studying in Scotland.
- Lucas Krapf - One of Lara Jean's former crushes, who has now become her close friend.
- Anonybitch - An Instagram user who posts scandalous videos and pictures. They film Lara Jean and Peter while they are kissing in the hot tub on their ski trip and frame it as if they've had sex.
- Stormy - A senior citizens living in Belleview and John Ambrose McClaren's great-grandmother. Due to her outgoing and friendly nature, she quickly befriends Lara Jean.
- Alicia Ito - A senior citizen at Belleview. Unlike Stormy, she likes to keep to herself and is very detail-oriented and orderly. Nonetheless, she also befriends Lara Jean.
- Trevor Pike - Lara Jean's childhood friend and Peter Kavinsky's best friend. He also buried the time capsule with them.
- Josh Sanderson - Margot's ex-boyfriend and Lara Jean's former crush.
- Anna Hicks - A younger woman that Genevieve's father has an affair with. She went to school with Margot and is the same age as her.
- Emily Nussbaum - Genevieve's friend.
- Mrs. Kavinsky - Peter's mother.
- Owen Kavinsky - Peter's brother.
- Uncle Victor - Lara Jean's, Margot's and Kitty's uncle from their mother's side.
- Aunt Carrie - Lara Jean's, Margot's and Kitty's aunt from their mother's side.
- Cousin Harry - Lara Jean's, Margot's and Kitty's cousin from their mother's side.
- Cousin Leon - Lara Jean's, Margot's and Kitty's cousin from their mother's side.
- Mr. Vasquez - A student counselor.
- Mrs. Duvall - A student counselor.
- Ms. Davenport - A young, flirtatious teacher that enjoys gossip.
- Mr. Glebe - A seventy-year-old teacher.
- Mr. Morales - A man who likes to charm women, especially Stormy.
- Danny - A resident who is mentioned to live in the azalea tract of Belleview.
- Crystal Clemens - A woman living on the same floor as Stormy at Belleview.
- Maude - A new resident at Belleview, who is good with computers.
- Claudia - Maude's friend.
- Janette - The manager of Belleview.
- Shanice - A woman that works at Belleview.
- Eve Song - Lara Jean, Margot, and Kitty's mother, who passed away when they were young due to a fatal concussion.
- Allie Feldman - Lara Jean's childhood friend, who eventually moved away. She also buried something with the time capsule.
- Carolyn Pearce - The owner of the treehouse Lara Jean and her friends used to play at when they were little.
- Noni - The person organizing the preparation courses for the college entrance exams.
- Jamila Singh - Peter's ex-girlfriend.
- Carter - A schoolmate of Lara Jean and Peter.
- Jeff Bardugo - A schoolmate of Lara Jean and Peter.
- Elaine - John's speech correctionist in 8th grade.
- Reena Patel - The junior representative.
- Shanae - Kitty's friend.
- Sophie - Kitty's friend.
- Genevieve's grandmother
The Target special edition features letters from Lara Jean to Kitty.
The novel spent five weeks on The New York Times Best Seller list, peaking at #2 in the Young Adult fiction section.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|“||P.S. I Still Love You was a contemporary and relatable story to many teens that we as a committee even wished we had a book like this to read and refer to during our teenage years. Furthermore, Han is able to depict Lara Jean, the protagonist in a very positive and relatable light for not only for [sic] other Asians but people in general as well. Lara Jean is able to be both Korean and "normal," and avoids being typecasted into certain tropes.||”|
—Asian/Pacific American Awards for Literature
In 2015, the novel was nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards for "Best Young Adult Fiction". It ultimately ended up ranking 2nd with a total of 26,274 votes, losing to All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. In the same year, P.S. I Still Love You also won the Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature in the category "Young Adult".
In November 2018, it was reported that Netflix and Paramount Pictures' Awesomeness Films were in discussions to produce a sequel, and Netflix announced the development of a sequel featuring Lana Condor and Noah Centineo in December 2018. In March 2019, it was reported that Michael Fimognari, cinematographer on the first film, would make his feature film directorial debut with the sequel, taking over from the original film's director Susan Johnson, who would stay on to executive produce. It was also announced that Janel Parrish, Anna Cathcart, and John Corbett would return to co-star.
The sequel has also cast Jordan Fisher as John Ambrose McClaren, a past love of Lara Jean's, and Ross Butler as Trevor Pike, one of Peter's best friends. Madeleine Arthur will reprise her role as Chris, while Holland Taylor and Sarayu Blue have joined the cast as Stormy McClaren and Trina Rothschild respectively.